Monday, April 11, 2011

Garden Expansion

Last summer, I had a small herb garden just off my patio. This year we decided to expand. The thought process went something like this: That little patch of grass in the corner is a pain to mow, maybe we should pull up the grass and expand the garden. I have been thinking about canning my own tomato sauce...

So I took a few days of my spring break and tore up the easy to care for grass. I also brought in top soil and mulch to cover the sand that I found underneath (What am I getting myself into!?!?). As it is still too early to plant much of anything, I only put seeds for salad greens in the ground. But I do have some tomatoes, green beans and peppers starting in my window sill.

The one extra trick--outsmarting my dog! He likes to dig in the oh-so-ever-enticing mud. Hopefully covering it in chicken wire and borrowed bricks from the garden wall will do the trick!

By the way...did I mention I'm not much of a gardener, and in fact one of those pesky allergies I mention in my intro would be to dirt (What am I getting myself into!?!?)

Before: lovely, low-maintenance grass
After: Note the old garden in back left
corner & my little "helper."

No comments:

Post a Comment