Sunday, May 8, 2011

Black Bean Burgers

A few weeks ago, I shared a recipe for Falafel Fritters and mentioned my love of black bean burgers. Well, now the research has been done, and I'm here to share the results of my quest! I started with a basic recipe I found at Whole Foods Market and tweaked from there. 

Instead of the 15 oz can of beans, I used 1 1/2 cups of soaked & cooked dried beans. I eventually added some frozen corn kernels and diced red peppers to the recipe. The basic recipe is a bit of a blank slate and can easily be tweaked to appeal to various palates, tastes and flavors. I also played around a bit with the proportion of bread crumbs. This resulted in the discovery that the 1-cup should not be messed with. The patties didn't hold together as well with fewer bread crumbs and only became chewier with more. I also amped up the hot sauce to give the burgers a better kick. The recipe from Whole Foods Market says that it yields 6 servings, but I never got more than four burgers out of a batch.

These pictures came from my first trial with the original recipe from W.F. Market. I hope you enjoy the burgers as much as my husband and I did. I know I have a winner when he asks for a recipe repeat right away! Now I'm really looking forward to warm weather so I can see how these guys hold up on the grill!!!
served with Cajun potato wedges

I found it best to mix ingredients by hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment