Friday, May 27, 2011

Pizza

In case you've never met us before, this Heinzman couple LOVES pizza. We eat it at least once a week. We search out the good pizza joint while on vacation. We make it at home - and it's one meal I can get my husband to help make (everyone likes to try their hand at tossing pizza dough in the air).

In the past, I've use Jiffy mix to make my crusts and Muir Glen Organics marinara sauce. But this winter, thanks to my new favorite food magazine, Cook's Illustrated, I found a delicious dough and a mouth watering (I'm not exaggerating) sauce recipe. The magazine provides lots of tips and trick, but I don't pay them much heed. The directions I include below are the only ones I follow (and even then my direction following can be iffy. Teachers make the worst listeners and direction followers).

On a personal note: I don't like fussy, loaded down pizza. My favorite is "plain" cheese. Use good ingredients and don't mess with them. As you can see by the photos, my cheese pizza is anything but plain!

Dough (taken from Cook's Illustrated):

3 c bread flour
2 t sugar
1/2 t rapid-rise yeast
1 1/3 c ice water
1 T oil
1 1/2 t salt

In food processor, combine flour, sugar, yeast and pulse until combined. Run machine and slowly add water through lid opening and process until dough is just combined. Let stand for 10 minutes.

Add oil and salt, then process until dough forms a ball that pulls from the sides of the container. Remove and knead briefly on a lightly oiled surface until smooth. Shape into a tight ball, place in lightly oiled bowl, cover and refrigerate over night (the magazine says 24 hours).

Sauce (also from Cook's Illustrated):
This sauce is the only reason I am growing tomatoes in my garden. I want to can them for use in this recipe.


In food processor, process:
1 28-oz can whole, peeled tomatoes (Muir Glen Organics is my fav!)
1 T olive oil
1 t red wine vinegar
2 medium garlic cloves (minced)
1 t salt
1 t dried oregano
1/4 t ground black pepper


The pizza is sauced

Ready to eat!

In Maui. On our honeymoon. At a pizzeria.

No comments:

Post a Comment