Monday, June 13, 2011

The Little Things

They say it's the little things in life. For me, one of those little things is the arrival of Cook's Illustrated in my mail box. It makes me feel like this inside.

I become giddy finding out which gadgets work best and what brand of Greek yogurt the taste testers approve. Vegetarian me finds herself tearing through an article about how to braise perfect ribs and suggest to my meat-etarian husband that he ought to try this method to a perfect burger (forgetting in my euphoria that he doesn't cook--not even a little bit).

My one problem: I have a hard time following recipes (unless I'm baking, then I'm meticulous). I tend to give them a once over for inspiration and then improvise. Cook's Illustrated has very detailed recipes, with articles on how and why to use such and such methods for the best results. Without fail, I get half-way through preparing the dish and realize I've skipped half the instructions. It usually turns out fine, but leaves me wondering "What if..." and finish eating the meal thinking, "Next time I'll be sure to use that tried and true method and see how it changes things." Which I inevitably forget to do the next time.

Oh well, today is a day of bliss as I devour my latest issue. I wonder which dish/trick/gadget/brand I will try first...

No comments:

Post a Comment