Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Camping

This project is about to hit the road!

I was still a youngster the last time I went on an extended camping trip, so all the preparations were done for me. As I got ready for a week of camping in Yellowstone National Park, I wanted to keep the food prep simple, but delicious and wholesome. This lead to me pre-making and freezing lots of homemade comfort food.

Take a look at our dinner menu for the week:

Day 1: black bean burgers, baked beans, corn on the cob
Day 2: spaghetti with marinara sauce
Day 3: veggie pot pie with corn muffin tops (recipe coming soon!)
Day 4: veggie chili with corn muffins
Day 5: soup and sandwiches (I cheated here, I'm bringing cartons of yummy Pacific organic soup)
Day 6: tacos
Day 7: Mac and Cheese


Extra fun aspect: one of our fellow campers is gluten free. So everything I made for this trip fits her bill. Though she will help make it possible by bringing gluten free pastas, breads and muffins. I substituted gluten free flour into my sauces and gluten free bread crumbs in the black bean burgers. We're good to go! Do we have enough room in the car?
Some of the frozen made-aheads: spaghetti sauce, chili, black bean burgers

No comments:

Post a Comment