Saturday, June 9, 2012

Sweet Potato Tacos


I've seen several recipes for sweet potato burritos floating around the "inter-web" lately and skeptically decided it was time to give this dish a try.

These were killer!!! Everyone raved.

The recipe I chose to try out was for the crock-pot. However, I doubt I will ever make these in the crock-pot again. Because I use whole, dry beans, I had to run my crock pot twice: once for the beans and once for the potatoes. Then I had to mix everything back together again. Too much work! It actually took more time than was necessary and I had to do super planning to make this "weeknight" meal come together.

I also ramped up the recipe a bit. It seemed bit blah (no onions!)
Everything mixed together in the crock-pot.
Here's the recipe I developed from the original:
(serves 4)

1/2 cups cooked black beans
2 large sweet potatoes
1/4 c stock (I use veggie)
2 T lime juice
1 t cumin*
1/2 t coriander*
2 t garlic, minced*
1 small onion, diced
olive oil

Toppings:
shredded cheese (I used Monterrey Jack)
lime wedges (for squeezing, serve some Coronas while you're at it ;-)
fresh cilantro

*this is what the original recipe called for, I used more. I like spice. Maybe you don't, so I listed the original amounts.

Putting it together:

Dice the sweet potatoes into 1-inch cubes and place in a baking dish. Toss with olive oil, lime juice, stock, cumin, coriander and garlic. Bake at 400 until very tender (20-30 minutes).

Cook diced onions in a bit of olive oil until transparent.

When everything is cooked, mix potatoes, onions and black beans together in a large bowl.
Serve with tortillas, cheese, cilantro and lime wedges.

I also made rice and corn as sides.
Some of us went a la carte with the sides, some of us (me) put everything on the tortillas (could you tell from the picture?)






1 comment: