Monday, June 4, 2012

BBQ'd Asparagus Pizza

I'd been hearing about the seasonal pizza available at a local restaurant, 
so I went and tried asparagus pizza.
Delish!

 (This is technically a copy cat recipe, though I think the grilling aspect makes it way better!)

Confession: 
Asparagus is one of my top 10 favorite foods. 
It just came into season and I can't seem to get enough of it.

Unfortunately, I love it so much that my husband is already tired of it. 

Any of you out there who eat seasonally have this experience?
One family member eats as much as she can while the gettin' is good 
while others tire of that particular vegetable/fruit long before its growing season is over? 

Just us?

Moving on: Pizza takes only minutes to cook on the grill and 
I wanted to make sure the toppings got cooked as well.

So, I cut my asparagus spears thin, lengthwise.
 

Traditional tomato sauce didn't seem like a good choice for my toppings. 
I couldn't remember how the restaurant "sauced" their pizza, so I improvised.

Here's several tablespoons of olive oil being infused with rosemary and pressed garlic. 
This whole mixture went onto my pizza crust. 


 I made one recipe of pizza dough the night before in anticipation of this grilling event.

 I divided the dough in half and we rounded them into pies as best we could. 
I say "we" because my husband, the non-cook, is actually fantastic at shaping pizza crusts.
Unfortunately, my transferring the pie to the grill spoils his craftsmanship. Boo!

 I made one of these pies into a traditional cheese pizza, since he's tired of my fave veggie.

Here's the pie on the grill:

I drizzled the underside with a bit of olive oil to prevent the dough from sticking to the grill.

It works bests to cook one side of the crust, take it off the grill, flip it over and dress the grilled side:

 The garlic/rosemary/olive oil "sauce" is under the asparagus spears.
See it glistening?

 Topped with shredded Parmesan and mozzarella:

 Then you place the whole pizza back on the grill:
This will grill the underside of the crust and get the cheese all melt-y. 
That's a technical term, by the way: Melt-y.

 I actually forgot to put olive oil on the underside this go-around. 
But there was no sticking. So maybe it was unnecessary the first time?
Who knows?

By the way, it works better if you close your grill. 
I just can't take pics with the grill closed. Ha!

OMGraciousness! Doesn't that look like heaven?
Yep, heaven will be filled with asparagus 
(and cheese and wine and chocolate and ice cream and...)

It's only been a couple of days since I made this. 
Would it be wrong to make it again? 

If you need me, I'll be in my kitchen.
... kneading pizza dough.

No comments:

Post a Comment