Friday, June 1, 2012

I Made Bagels!

I have to admit, I was intrigued when I found a recipe for home-made bagels. 
I caved when they said it was easy. 

Easy it was. 
It just took awhile. 
Three 20-minute dough rests. 

They taste like they came straight from the deli!
Can you smell them yet? 

I followed this recipe
I didn't vary from it, so please visit the site for details.


This is what's resting in the green bowl: 
oil, all-purpose & whole wheat flour, sugar, yeast, water

Kneading, kneading...


 ...and kneading. 10-minutes worth!

 The wonderfully elastic dough:


 Cut into 8 balls and resting for 20 minutes:

Then rolled into 8 dough snakes.

These did not roll out as easily as Play-Doh. 
I would know, I teach 6 & 7 year olds. 
Curled into 8 bagel-like rings.
And yet another 20 minute rest. 

Boiling:

In water. 
1-minute each side.
This is apparently the sign of a "real" bagel. 
A quick drip-dry:

And then onto the baking sheet!
After baking for 10 minutes on each side, they are done!
And soooo good!
Time-consuming, yes. But truly easy. 
And your kitchen will smell like a bakery. Bonus!
Thinking I'll make these again for our upcoming weekend camping trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment